Download Free Books Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)  Full Version
Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9) Hardcover | Pages: 631 pages
Rating: 4.43 | 922 Users | 108 Reviews

Be Specific About Books Supposing Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)

Original Title: Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Vol 9)
ISBN: 0875792529 (ISBN13: 9780875792521)
Edition Language: English

Narrative Toward Books Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)

Approaching Zion is LDS scholar and social critic Hugh Nibley's most popular book. More accessible than many of his scholarly works, it is replete with Nibley's trademark humor and startling insights into history, religion and life.

Well known and beloved in its text form, most of the essays in this book were originally delivered as speeches. This audio version, read by the author's son, Thomas Hugh Nibley, evokes the original delivery of Hugh Nibley the speaker with his slashing wit, profound scholarship, and burning faith.

In Approaching Zion, Hugh Nibley gives thinkers reason to believe, and believers something to think about.


Itemize Out Of Books Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)

Title:Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
Author:Hugh Nibley
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 631 pages
Published:November 1st 1989 by Deseret Book Co
Categories:Religion. Christianity. Lds. Nonfiction. Church. Spirituality. Mormonism

Rating Out Of Books Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
Ratings: 4.43 From 922 Users | 108 Reviews

Write Up Out Of Books Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
I find the repetition in this book tedious. Whole sections are lifted from one talk and included in another verbatim. Nibley's disdain for hard work and self reliance flies in the face of much that I hear in General Conference. His myopic black and white view of everyone who pursues an occupation versus giving themselves over to full-time study, as Nibley did, is a bit off-putting.I don't consider Spencer W. Kimball wicked for owning a radio station or being an insurance salesman. I don't think

Nibley's amazing attention to detail turned on the subject that he was arguably most passionate about, the anti-materialism of the gospel. How could you go wrong?

Reread 2015~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This book has had me thinking and discussing with my husband and some friends for weeks. This book has changed the way I look at the world. I've had to dig deep inside myself and ask myself the hard questions of my own and my family's pursuit of Zion.You could read and read this and get something new out of it every time. I'm so glad that I read it. There are a couple of things that I don't know how I feel, but I could be just not "there" yet either. I can see a

Rather than merely a historical study of Zion or an examination of prophecies concerning Zion, Nibley comes straight to the point in each of his essays: we should be establishing Zion now. We should be taking completely literally our charge to live the law of consecration. I appreciate how candid he is in his evaluation of the present state of the saints and the world. But on a personal level, I wasn't sure how I should respond. I, too, felt the urgency of his message, but what more can I do

As a non-Mormon living in Salt Lake City, I have spent the past several years trying to figure this place out. As a psychogeographer, I knew I had to get to the heart of this place through its geography. I became fascinated and obsessed with the layout of the city and the original Zion Plat. This inquiry led me to Nibley, where I not only confirmed some of my intuitive interpretations of this place, but also discovered a whole new way of seeing and understanding Zion, faith, and "place" in a

Hugh Nibley was a very highly-regarded scholar in the Mormon church. This is a long book, so it gets a long review.He did not originally write this as a book. It's a collection edited by FARMS of all the lectures that Hugh Nibley has given related to the Law of Consecration - the idea that the true practice of Chistianity should be in a utopian society. Since it's intended to be a complete collection of lectures, it can be pretty repetitive - if he gave a nearly identical lecture to two separate

If the measure of a persons favorite book is how dramatically it alters the way he or she thinks to the point of action, how frequently they return to it, or whether it supercharges their souls like a theological keg of Red Bull, Approaching Zion, next to the holy scriptures, meets all three criteria for me, no question. I rarely read a book more than once, but this is one I pick up regularly. As of this moment, my kindle tells me Ive made 722 separate multi-colored highlights and notes. I can